The Swim Instructor is responsible for providing swimming instruction to people of all ages, following the YMCA of the USA Aquatics and Swim Lessons guidelines. Swim Instructors will provide excellent customer service in a safe, enjoyable, and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and satisfaction in accordance with the YMCA policies and procedures.
- Provide swimming instruction to students of various ages and ability levels.
- Maintain constant supervision of students, watch for swimmers needing assistance, and aid swimmers when necessary to ensure positive learning environment.
- Know, understand, and consistently communicate policies and procedures for the pool and whirlpool.
- Understand the YMCA Swim Lessons program, including swimming levels and skills taught for each level. Evaluate students and recommend placement in the correct skill level.
This position reports to the Sr. Coordinator/Program Manager who reports to the Branch Management. The incumbent interacts regularly with their supervisor, staff, volunteers, and participants.
- Minimum age of 16.
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification.
- Certifications required within 45 days of hire: BLS, First Aid and Emergency Oxygen Administration (may not teach until certifications are complete).
- Patience and the ability to communicate with all ages and levels of swimmers.
- Demonstrated ability to swim in shallow and deep water, and tread water (Stage 5 level swimming skill).
- Dedicated to member safety and the mission and philosophy of the YMCA
- Quality Results
- Must remain in the pool area at all times.
- Ability to support child or adult body weight in the water.
- Must be able to remain alert with no lapses of consciousness in a warm environment with air temperatures of 80 degrees or higher.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and remedy hazardous/dangerous situations.
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in hazardous/dangerous situations.
- Communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 pounds at a time in a warm pool environment.