Doing Business in November: Small Business Saturday Tips for Success
Small Business Saturday was created in 2010 by American Express as a reminder to consumers that by supporting your local businesses during the holiday shopping frenzy, you’re investing in your community. Local money stays local and helps build your community. This campaign continues to go strong year after year with more than 60% of consumers willing to invest in their local businesses.
This year’s Small Business Saturday is November 30. Your small business should focus time and energy preparing for it, as it gives you an opportunity to compete with big-time retailers that will be cashing in on Black Friday.
Here are a few tips for success:
- Awareness. Remind your customers about Small Business Saturday. Create awareness through social media and e-mail marketing campaigns. Add a banner on your website. Reminding your customers that shopping local puts money back into their community doesn’t hurt.
- Make your Incentive or Deal Standout. The most common Black Friday incentive is to offer a discount or a door buster deal, and as a small business, you may not be able to compete. Therefore, make your incentive more than a sale and offer an experience that big-chain stores can’t rival. Examples include:
- Add a specialized service such as free gift wrapping, free delivery, or free coffee.
- Create a Holiday Special Package. What products and/or services can you package together for a unique experience? What will draw in more foot traffic? What pairings would inspire people to come into your business?
- Collaborate with other local businesses and create a unique experience or offer.
- Be Ready and Capitalize on the Increased Volume. Will your store be ready for an increase of foot traffic? Do you need to hire extra help over the holiday season? How are you leveraging the increase in consumers and creating long-term customers? Consider ways to collect their contact information for future mailings or e-mail campaigns, such as a business card draw or a gift card raffle.